Tuesday, May 13, 2008

 

questions and answers

Estefano left a comment about a problem "There is also a big problem with your windows overlaps. They block the texts and don't size resize correctly."
I'm QUITE interested in this problem, can you send me some screenshots of what happens exactly? I set up the game so that it could be played at any resolution above 1024x768. Also, please give me the configuration of your pc.
Apart from that, it's not a playable demo because the game mechanics are still not complete, for example there's no turns yet, but there will be in the future.
I'm not sure I'll add the newspapers, I'll have to find out how to fit that with the general game flow.

@Draco: the shapes representing leadership really don't give an immediate idea of the quality of a leader, that's true. They are simply a subjective way to represent something. The design challenge in this case was to have 5 shapes clearly distinguishable, so I choose something that you could not confuse: a pentagon is clearly different than a circle and from a square etc. I excluded the triangle because there was not enough surface to host the stars.
The military summary gives you the real figures about the armed forces of the various countries, the military section is much expanded from the original so it is right to give the player enough information to play.
The button "grant Palestinian independence" is as simple as you imagined: it is a big simplification over reality, true. In this case all the problems that would emerge from such a decision are modeled by the great decrease in domestic public opinion that the player has to face. The idea of modeling the elections at the end of each game still exists, so it is clear that a player will have to decide early in the game to grant Palestine's independence, because it grants much better relations with the U.S.A., which in turn grant extra $$$, therefore the player can spend more money for Israel's army, and win a lot of wars. Every war won grants an increase in domestic public opinion, therefore the chances of being re-elected are enhanced.
For the battle screen, it's better to wait the manual!

Saluti

Comments:
Thanks for answering all my questions :)

The decrease in domestic public opinion is at least one negative consequence (one more than in the original game). But I guess whether granting palestinian independence will be more than a no-brainer (like in the original game) remains to be seen.

Regarding display problems like the ones from Estefano...

I tried it on a xp64 @ 1280x1024 (Nvidia GF 8800 GTS). The game opens in a non-resizeable 1024x768 window. (see here) The game starts a bit zoomed in on the map. To see Lybia and Iran as a whole I have to zoom out first.

I also had some problems with overlapping windows in the battle screen, where the right window was on top of the enemy units (see here) I was a bit confused until I found out that I had to zoom out so everything would fit.

And I just tried it out on another machine, xp @ 1280x800 (ATI Mobilitiy Radeon X1300). The game starts too small (see here) and has to be expanded first, otherwise text and windows can't be displayed correctly.

Unfortunately the game seems to have issues with a resolution of 1280x800 as you can see here and here.

Phew... I hope that helps :)

Oh and a last remark... it would be great if you could include newspapers... they give you a quick overview of all important things that happened. I loved that original and usefull idea the first time I saw it, hence I believe it's a feature that should be kept.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?