Sunday, August 17, 2014

 

Billy 7

I turns out I'm working on a procedural terrain creation system, although a mixed one.
What I'm trying to do is to place small pieces of pre-rendered procedurally generated elements in a meaningful way, in order to create the impression of a big, continuous procedurally element created from the ground.
For example working on the placement of forests I created a fractal, without even realizing it until I saw the  results.
I'll now work on mountains, which pose some difficulty since you must provision valleys. I thought that the best starting point are mountains passes, which define connection between valleys. Once defined these two elements I'll fill the voids with mountains.
I started thinking to create a complete procedural terrain generator on my own, it always happens in these cases, the phases are always the same: I have an idea --> I aim to the fullest implementation --> I search on the web articles about it --> after reading the first math formula or code syntax I close the browser.
In this case, in particular, I'd need to learn hlsl. But what would be the advantage? I already have a powerful terrain generator which is wm, why should I reinvent the wheel? I'll simply take advantage of wm, while creating more or less algorithms for terrain placement.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?